How the coronavirus lockdowns can be converted into an opportunity to secure our children’s future (Indian Express)
Mains Paper 2: National
Prelims level: Not much
Mains level: Social issues
- Every global crisis has its own philosophical import and an embedded message. We can neglect it only at our danger.
- In more recent history The second world war ended with apparent warning against nationalistic zealotry and usage of nuclear weapons.
- The world handled to hearken both the messages for about 70 years prior to one of them– extreme and exclusivist nationalism– started raising its head once again in a number of parts, consisting of in India. Use of nuclear weapons has actually although been avoided, its deterrent worth still being traded as a weapon of blackmail if not destruction.
- Some messages resulted in the higher good of higher numbers but, all at once, also resulted in its tweaking to transform older evils by some other name.
- For instance, imperialism resulted in two World Wars however their horrific effects paved way for great sense to dominate leading to greater co-operation amongst countries and opening up of nationwide economies and international trade. It was also used by some to release their surprise economic imperialism.
- All this, nevertheless, was always open up to changes from time to time, therefore preventing the world from overall collapse.
- Yet, we haven’t apparently fully pertained to grips with the most disconcerting of the international crises of ecological destruction yet.
- We still are fighting for our financial interests rather of unitedly dealing with the effects of the environmental crisis.
Abstinence from natural deposits:
- The most crucial of all takeaways is abstinence from the overexploitation of natural deposits.
- We have shut ourselves inside your home for a period that we never formerly believed was even you can possibly imagine, forget being possible.
- However here we are, forced to live with very little arrangements lest we perish.
- It uses huge returns in regards to saving fossil fuels. It will not just save us substantial cash but will also help postpone the procedure of ecological destruction.
- We can use those 2 ‘shut’ days entirely for our families, which, in turn, will restore the fast-eroding household bonds.
- Needless to say, this needs to be done unexceptionally by all the countries given that “no work” holidays are bound to slow down a nation’s financial growth too.
- No country shouldn mind that as long as all agree to do it.
- On “open” days, we can further whittle it down by using a minimum of 2 “work from home” days anywhere possible. It will conserve more fuel and therefore more foreign exchange for countries like India.
- One of the social benefits of this “abstaining” routines would be drastic decrease in accidents and criminal activities. Less crowd or no crowd on streets would also greatly decrease our strong waste concern, therefore catalysing the procedure of restoration of environmental balance.
- What it will also do is lower the spread of contagious diseases. It might really work wonders in incredibly crowded and most inhabited cities.
- All this, obviously, comes at a cost. It demands not only an excellent willpower to assist humanity from a possible armageddon, however likewise renunciation of olden straight-jackets. For instance, if the “shut” days unavoidably take place to eclipse some of the advantageous muhurats for spiritual observance.
- Obviously, the two-day abstinence concept isn’t an “open” and “shut” case and will need to be worked out in a more nuanced fashion.
- We will have likewise to choose how long we must observe this abstinence. We have currently made the start per force.
- If people of the world unify to do this, they have nothing to lose however a little bit of their self-indulgence.
- Their loss would be their descendants’ gain. That’s not a small gain to be delighted about.
Q. 1) With referral to the World Sparrow Day, think about the following statements:
1. 20 th March is being observed as World Sparrow Day with the theme “I LOVE Sparrows”.
2. The effort was started by Bombay Nature Society in1967
Which of the declarations provided above is/are appropriate?
( a) 1 only
( b) 2 only
( c) Both 1 and 2
( d) Neither 1 nor 2